I am an experienced web developer with skills in a wide variety of web technologies, both client-side and server-side. I express my creativity through technology and enjoy creating innovative solutions to problems. I am eager to embrace new ideas, methodologies and technologies to expand my knowledge.
I have more than 9 years’ experience in the IT industry across a variety of technologies. I have also completed several web development projects in my own time. I am skilled in the development, automation and improvement of management information reports and business process audits. In addition, I have experience of conducting user acceptance testing of new systems and data sources.
In 2005 I graduated with a BSc in Computing Science from the University of East Anglia (grade 2:1). Between June 2005 and February 2010, I worked for a major insurance company on a range of IT and management information-related projects. In 2008 I achieved the Certificate in Insurance qualification from the Chartered Insurance Institute (Cert CII) and since early 2009 I have been a professional member of the British Computer Society (MBCS).
In February 2010 I started a new career as a web developer, working for a major newspaper and magazine publisher. My first major project involved working in a team to implement a new content management system (Polopoly) and transfer 80 regional news sites onto it. I was also instrumental in setting up Polopoly websites for specialist/lifestyle magazines and developing the front-ends for these sites.
In July 2012 I achieved my long-term ambition of becoming more involved in the server-side development of websites, and was promoted to the role of Junior Java Developer.
I have experience in all of the following technologies:
- PHP and MySQL
- JSP and servlets
- Java Database Connectivity (JDBC)
- Apache Tomcat server
- Implementing websites using content management systems including WordPress and Polopoly.
- Visual Basic for Applications (VBA)
- IBM DB2
- Oracle Discoverer
- Lotus Notes including use of Lotus Notes databases
- Lotus Approach
- User Acceptance Testing (UAT)
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000/2005 including Reporting Services
- Microsoft Sharepoint
- All Microsoft Office applications (2002, 2003 and 2007)
- Microsoft Access (2002)
Key Skills and Experience
- Skilled in Java and related technologies including Java Beans, servlets, Tomcat & JDBC.
- Experience in using Polopoly and Prestige CMS to build complex websites.
- Proficient in database querying and data maintenance using SQL.
- Familiar with database design and development using Microsoft SQL Server and MySQL.
- Experience in using XML, XSL and XSLT to store and transform data.
- Broad skill set in Microsoft .NET technologies and VBA.
- Excellent requirements gathering and analysis skills.
- Reliably meeting demanding deadlines and targets working under pressure.
- Track record of academic achievement and career development.
- Proven ability to develop new skills quickly and learn new technologies.
- Proficient in database querying and maintenance using Microsoft Access, IBM DB2, SQL Server 2000/2005, MySQL Oracle Discoverer and T-SQL.
My hobbies and interests
In August 2009, I joined the committee of the Norwich IVC social club, assisting with the club’s website development and maintenance. I have been an active member of the club since November 2008 and I have taken part in numerous social activities such as ten pin bowling, meals out, nightclub nights and visits to the cinema. I have also successfully organised several events on behalf of the club.
My other hobbies are digital photography, new technology, listening to music, home baking and going for walks in the countryside.